Sunday, March 3, 2013

Drawing attempt #1 - Ginger Lilies

I have been neglecting my blog this month. It was for a good reason though. My dad came to visit me from Cuba for a few days. I had not seen him for fourteen years and we had a LOT to talk about. It was wonderful to show him where I live and talk to him like I did when I was a little girl. Time just flew!
Normally, I did not have much time to do any projects, but he did leave me inspired. I have lots of new stories about my family, my grandparents especially. He revived a lot of my memories of my own childhood and my love for my country. 
I have been giving a lot of thought about trying out drawing, like I did when I was small. I thought it was only fitting to do something that had to do with my own culture. 
I wanted to draw Ginger Lilies (Mariposas), the Cuban National flower as my first "returning" project.
Here is what I drew:
I did it all using a 2H pencil, a tortillon and a knitted eraser.  
This is the guide I used:
I have never been very good with shadows, light sources and 3D effects. I have never taken classes, but I have been thinking about art journaling a lot, and I think art journaling should be a lot about drawing. 
Anyway, I just wanted to share what I made. 

Thank you for visiting!