Saturday, February 2, 2013

Mini Purse Gift from balsa box

I wanted to share something I made for one of my coworkers that retired last week. She has always been so helpful and I wanted her to know how much I appreciate everything she's done for me. 

I was looking through YouTube and I found a video from SaCrafters where she shows how to decorate the small balsa boxes from Michael's. I had a couple of them handy and I just had to try it. I thought it would make a wonderful personalized gift for Kay. 

Here is a picture of the finished product: 

I was very happy with how it turned out. It takes very little materials to make and they end up being so cute. I even started in a few more. 

I used some of the leftover paper from the hat. I randomly stamped it with Brilliance Galaxy Gold using a script stamp (I can't remember which one it was exactly, I have a few). 

The letters are from a Tim Holtz die, that now I can't find for some reason (I am still trying to get organized in this room, sorry). 

The flowers I made. I used a Spellbinders Rose Creations die and the little rose was from an EK Success punch (retro flower). 

I used Martha Steward small butterfly punch as well. I used a lot of Glimmer Myst on the flowers and the butterfly. 

The picture is not very good (sorry I am awful at photography apparently), but the letters are covered with glitter glue to add more sparkle. 

To adhere the paper I used Mod Podge Gloss, and I covered the whole box with it as well to seal it. I had lots leftover from my hat. 

I want to try out other media, once I am done with the Mod Podge I still have, since everybody seems to recommend matte, rather than glossy. 

Here is the video that inspired it: 


It has three parts, but this it the beginning. 

I hope you all like it, and most of all, I hope Kay liked it. 

Thank you for visiting and see you next time!