Saturday, December 15, 2012

Christmas Card and Envelope

Hello!
I just wanted to share what I made the weekend of Dec 8.
Justin and I are having Christmas with his mom pretty soon. Justin asked me if I wanted to make a card for her, because that way it would be special rather than buying one at the store.
I have been practicing on making flowers lately, and his mom LOVES flowers. Every Spring her garden has some of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen. It will not be easy to impress her, she KNOWS flowers. I wanted to make her something anyway, just because.
Here is what I made:
I wanted to make something she didn't have to keep, if she didn't want to. Something she could reuse and give to some one else if she needed to.
I made the envelope from 12x12 paper, and made it a little thicker than normal to accommodate the thickness of the card itself.
The card has an pocket to carry the gift card we will be giving her. Obviously this post will not come out until AFTER we give her the presents, because I do not want to ruin Christmas.
Here is a close up of the flowers.
I made these using McGill lily punches. That was fun, because the petals are separate, and I had to attach them one by one. I think I might need a different glue gun, mine is a little less than ideal, but it gets the job done. 
The roses I made with the Spellbinders die, using the same technique that I used before for my three dimensional roses. I just added a rose bud in there, to try it out, because they always seem like they are missing something. 
The "pointy" ones (sorry, not sure I know what flowers these are or if they are even flowers from nature) I made from a Recollections Punch.
Here are the punches I used to give you an idea of how it's done.
All of the flowers are handmade, I inked the petals with stamping ink to give it a shadow. It's hard to tell in the roses though, because the paper is a little thicker. I am still working on making the stamens. I think the ones from the pink flower came out pretty good, the others are not exactly what I had envision, but they work. 
This is the first time I am actually happy with what a card I've made. I hope she likes it.
Thank you for visiting!